Thursday, November 18, 2021

Ground Transportation

I am much relieved to report that the Crow Commute panels were finally discharged onto dry land last week and are now, as I write this, trucking their way up I-5 from LA to Seattle. They are still in the shipping container that they travelled from Australia in, and are supposed to arrive at a cargo warehouse early next week where they will be processed through customs. If all goes well, we can install it them in early December. Many fingers crossed!!




Above is a picture of me visiting Turner Exhibits. They fabricated the attachment brackets for Crow Commute and will also install it. This was back in March 2021, when I went out to look at the prototype for the brackets. Below that is an early sketch from when I was trying to figure out what Crow Commute would look like. I spent a lot of time drawing on grocery receipt paper in order to get used to the extreme horizontality of the proportions of the panels. One of my early convictions was that I wanted it POPULATED. Even though streets in Seattle often feel a bit empty since we have so much space, I wanted the panels to be filled with people. I tacked this drawing up above my work table. This is not literally one of the panel drawings, but was kind of my talisman or "North Star" as I was working on the art. It reminded me that the people of Seattle were the most important element of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment